Black Owned Maine hosts the first public-facing directory of Black-owned businesses and nonprofits in the state of Maine. Our mission is to innovate and sustain an ecosystem for Black entrepreneurs through various business supports. We welcome you to join our network and take advantage of the following opportunities. Before you submit your information please read the criteria below.
Benefits of Membership
- Free listing in our public facing business directory used by over 200k people since 2020
- Access to a network of over 450 Black entrepreneurs in Maine
- Connection to a larger ecosystem of entrepreneurs and support organizations
- A network designed to advocate for the Black entrepreneur’s best interests
- Priority notice of various funding and vending opportunities
- Free technical assistance and business advising
- Free and low-cost marketing support
- Access to business workshops, events, and content
To be eligible for membership with Black Owned Maine, businesses and nonprofits must meet the following criteria:
- Headquartered within the State of Maine, with at least one owner residing in Maine full-time.
- At least 50% Black-owned and operated.
- Business registration is not mandatory; we welcome sole proprietors, partnerships, LLCs, and corporations.
Professionals working within non Black-owned companies are also welcome to join if you offer bookable services and operate as independent contractors. Examples include hair stylists, barbers, nail technicians, and more. We will carefully review and accept these listing submissions at our discretion.
- Must be at least 50% Black-led and/or Black-serving.
- Must be an independent organization and not a subsidiary of a national or global nonprofit.
Please note that we no longer list affinity groups, student unions, government officials, teachers, or similar entities.
What Happens After I Join?
Our Directory Manager, Etinosa, will be in touch within 72 business hours. He will furnish you with login credentials for our member portal, address any follow-up queries, and share more details about Black Owned Maine.
Once you receive your login information, we recommend logging into the member portal promptly. This will allow you to make necessary updates and add more businesses as needed. Your active involvement in the portal ensures you can maximize its benefits effectively.
Our Directory Manager, Etinosa, is happy to answer any questions. Please reach out via our contact form or send him an email at [email protected]. You can also check out our FAQ for a list of common questions.